Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, and other things

I went to see Beautiful: The Carole King Musical last night. I had no prior expectations save for any I developed during the commercials I've seen during Jeopardy!. It was great; so emotional. It seems like good therapy for anyone going through a breakup. Man, live theatre, right? I love that anything can happen, it's so scary and real, and obviously LIVE! Alive. Many different scenes struck me deeply. I thought at first the two love interests seemed like they had very little chemistry and were a little stiff and awkward physically with each other, but you watch their relationship as it progresses and transforms. The actress who plays Carole King, Cassidy Janson is unbelievably talented and raw, very powerful.

That said, I've been keeping to my goal of one performance per week! There are so many more shows I'd like to see, but the really great news is they are relatively cheap (under £35.) I'd like to see Book of Mormon, Aladdin, what else... An American in Paris, Dreamgirls, Lion King, Kinky Boots, Carousel, everything?

Wicked, in particular, watching "Popular" sung live was stunning and energizing. For both shows I sat in the last possible row, but found the view to be perfectly acceptable. Plus, at under £20, you can't really go wrong.

I'm thinking that if I can get my food budget under control, I can squeeze £20 a week on a ticket, meaning if there is a £40 ticket (e.g., Lion King, Aladdin all seem to be pricier), I can just skip one week. I think that ought to work nicely? There are a lot of things to see, but also many weeks with which to work. It would mean £160 budgeted from the monthly pay, which I'll have to finagle in Excel. Like a real budget!

Note, going to stuff on my own has not been weird, scary, or intimidating, in fact I haven't been thinking about it too much except for observing any sense of liberation internally. I don't feel super liberated by it, either; I get a sense of empowerment from correctly navigating to a new place without major hiccups, but I think the "showing up alone" aspect is a given and therefore doesn't come with its own rush of pride. I have joked with folks at home that I am terribly lonely, which actually isn't true in spite of all this alone time. I do miss Matt! Significantly. More in the sense that I wish he were able to be with me as I go on these adventures because I love his company. But, we will have to wait for him to come visit and I can share with him the best of the things I've done or have yet to do.

Au revoir! Cheerio! (Going to Paris in a week and a half, might want to finish that itinerary!)

No comments:

Post a Comment