Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Amazon Subscribe & Save

This. Is glorious.

For starters, there are several blog posts out there about Amazon Subscribe & Save that go into more detail than I am about to, because, well, they are better at Excel Spreadsheets. So here is one of those: Blogger Explains Excel Spreadsheets for S&S.
Thus far I have used this service for one product and one product only, and that is Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Wash, cause let's face it, I run out of this stuff about once every month or two. The gist of S&S is eliminating the need to run out to the store for groceries (dry goods), cosmetics, toilet paper, and so on.
Pros: Free shipping, expedited if you are on Amazon Student or Amazon Mom or Dad. 15% off the price if you subscribe, meaning claim that you'll buy it again in 6 months, and absolutely no commitment to purchasing said item again in 6 months. Many of the items are sold in bulk, which for stuff like face wash is perfect seeing as how it is loaded with preservatives anyway.
Cons: So far the selection is really just beginning, so not everything is available, but lots of stuff is. For example I haven't found any Tazo tea yet, but there are easily like 30 other brands of tea that I could get used to in the mean time.

I did read, however, that not all of the items are cheaper if purchased on Amazon, so it is a good idea to comparison shop - write down a few costs of items before you go grocery shopping next time and see if it is worth it. It is definitely worth the savings in gas (though let's face it you're obviously still going shopping), and it is absolutely worth not having to think about these items more than once every 3-6 months.

Quick price comparison of what I bought:
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
CVS.com, 6.0 oz: $5.03 on sale. (Pretty sure I paid $6.35 for this at the store, but ok.)
$0.83/ounce of acne wash

Amazon.com, 9.0 oz: $18.19 for 3 containers
$0.67/ounce of acne wash.
For products you purchase all the time, the savings and lack of effort really add up! This is like a conversation I had with Toby back in March or so about this travel french press: Bodum Travel French Press, and the concept of the benefits of eliminating even one step from the process of getting every day things done. (That, by the way, is on my wish list for my birthday and might get its own post should I ever get my grubby hands on it.)

I've found that they also have bulk packs of Odwalla bars (my personal snack time favorite) for $.90 apiece, instead of Hannaford Grocery's $.99 apiece, which previously was the cheapest I'd ever seen them. These and Kashi Blueberry Clusters cereal might be my first ventures into the land of buying food online, maybe once my loans get paid off. (Vomit.)

Another good idea: paying off student loans!

No comments:

Post a Comment