Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Carving Pumpkins

It is almost Halloween!! This is both exciting and alarming, for me at least. We don't have even have the tree any decorations up, the only thing I've done costume-wise is suggested to Matt is that we go as zombies together (vetoed), and I've eaten a dismally minimal number pumpkin-flavored items. But it's ok, there's still time for all of this, and more.

Carving pumpkins is arduous and takes a sizable amount of time, but is absolutely worthwhile if you do it with friends. Following the template can get a little messy at times too, and it's difficult to see the end goal, but if you're patient, it may or may not turn out awesome.

Halloween 2010's carving expedition had us searching high and low for free pumpkin carving templates, but apparently the fascists that own the really good templates all have them under lock and key and charge you anywhere from $.99 to upwards of $2.50 for their helpful goodness. Honky tonk redonk a donk, if you ask me. But never fear! Halloween '11 has a totally different, fascist media giant running the show: Disney! This also has reminded me of one thing that makes it slightly better to be a postgrad, and that is that I don't necessarily expect a gang of hooligans to come and smash my works of art. Last year my Shakespeare pumpkin and Pete's creepy tree pumpkin were blasted into tiny bits when they met an untimely end on the sidewalk. So sad. I am searching through the archives for the pictures of these pumpkins in their glory days, but alas they are temporarily missing.

Anyway, Disney makes it easy to freely copy Kermit, Tigger, Jack Skellington, Tinker Bell... I mean okay there's no Fozzie or Miss Piggy but I'll get over it. I like them. And they're free so hooray!


PS, Thanks to Woot I also was just led to TMZ's gallery of free stencils - celebrity faces
HOLY S%@*!
They have the following celebrity faces:
Mike Tyson (above), Steve Buscemi, Madonna, Steve Jobs (RIP), Charlie Sheen, Gabourey Sidibe (who?), Chaz Bono, Steven Tyler, Pee Wee, Betty White, Ice T, Audrina from the Hills, Tiger Woods, Steve-O, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Paris Hilton, Adam Sandler, Susan Boyle, Chuck Norris, Taylor Swift, Slash and Ozzy.
For some reason I feel like if I was doing anyone I would definitely go for Slash and then Ozzy and have some kind of Rockin' Halloween Party, but that is probably because I am extremely lame. Not sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment